SAMANTHA Stosur neither expects nor wants an apology from Serena Williams after the former world No 1's outburst during the second set of their US Open final.

Stosur arrived home on Saturday smiling broadly as she relived the greatest moment of her career followed by the busiest week of her life.

The 27-year-old has hardly stopped smiling or posing for photographs, signing autographs or being asked questions about her sterling 6-3 6-2 win. It was the Australian's first grand slam singles title. Williams has 13.

Williams, however, was fined $US2000 ($1900) after delivering a broadside at umpire Eva Asderaki, loudly accusing her of being a "hater" and "unattractive inside".

Williams became incensed after being docked a point by Asderaki for yelling out during a rally before Stosur had the chance to play at the ball. It was two years ago that Williams launched another outburst at a lineswoman during a US Open semi-final defeat to Kim Clijsters.

But Stosur told The Australian at Brisbane airport on Saturday, that she harboured no ill feeling towards Williams.

"It happened. It was the heat of the moment and she didn't verbally say anything at me or towards me," Stosur said. "It was all at the umpire.

"So I'm not expecting one (an apology) and don't want one. She was pretty gracious to me to come over and sit beside me and chat before the trophy presentation.

"That doesn't happen often. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. There's no hard feelings. It was just part of the match. I know I've moved on and I'm sure she will too."

Williams missed last January's Australian Open through injury, but is likely to arrive in Melbourne in the new year.

Williams defeated Stosur in the fourth round of the Australian Open last year, before going on to defeat Justine Henin in the final.

The Australian Open is the next grand slam on the calendar (January 16-29) and Stosur knows the pressure will be more on her than Williams.

"Winning a grand slam is wonderful, but if that was ever to be the Australian Open then that'd be something else," Stosur said.

"It's the most special grand slam I could ever possibly win. If that does happen then that would absolutely be the top of my career for me."

0 comments: